Join our dynamic business as a Systems & Cloud Engineer (DevOps)To implement and support the delivery of infrastructure and software-based projects around the group into automated and managed Continuous Integration/Delivery pipelines (CI/CD) to save time and manual effort, and to speed up the secure development/deployment cycle and reduce errors.
The individual is expected to be the interface between the development team members and other departments to help achieve delivery of applications using CI/CD pipelines. To design (and adhere to) standards and best practises to be followed through these pipelines as they move between different environments on the road to Production.
CI/CD practises are not exclusive to in-house developed software applications, and therefore other existing applications and installations can be introduced to Continuous Delivery mechanisms through scripting and deployment frameworks. Similarly, CI/CD pipelines can be split between on premise infrastructure and Cloud based setups predominantly Azure. We have a hybrid multi-cloud strategy so other clouds and on premise work will be included.
Job Title: Systems & Cloud Engineer (DevOps)
Location: Must be commutable at least twice a week to: Peterborough, Cambridgeshire or Tunbridge Wells, Kent, or Sunderland, Tyne and Wear or Chesterfield, Derbyshire Offices
We are a leading and expanding motor insurance group who are ranked highly in The Times Top 30 Big Companies to work for. We are a modern and progressive group and pride ourselves on our innovative IT software and dynamic agile way of working.
In 2022, the group became the 3rd largest motor insurance provider after completing the purchase of the BGL Group Insurance broker business. The group's portfolio also includes Brightside Insurance (acquired April 2021), and Insurance Factory, one of the UK's largest affinity based insurance intermediaries for pet insurance; along with Auto Windscreens, VisionTrack, Vision Vehicle Solutions; and brands Geoffrey Insurance and Zenith Insurance. Come and be part of a great team and company and make a difference.
- To assist the developers and development teams to achieve their goals in projects or BAU work streams
- Design, support and implement the CI/CD ecosystem
- Maintain and implement industry best-practises for automated configuration management and security
- Deliver a seamless CI/CD solution to one or more Cloud platforms, primarily Azure, and on premises
- We own our changes and ensure they are tested every step of the way
- To work in Agile based iterations within multiple teams as required
- To work with 3rd parties as required.
- To ensure the right level of documentation is created, available and maintained where it relates to DevOps practices.
- To continue to develop the group's technical capabilities using existing and emerging technologies.
- Ensure our solutions minimise system downtime and customer impact
- Take ownership for platform solutions and optimisations, ensuring operational and project outcomes are achieved
- Contribute to the continuous improvement culture by regularly reviewing and enhancing processes, practices, and standards.
Key competencies, skills and knowledge
- Must be a team player and be able to share your successes and learnings
- Technical problem solving from a complex environment
- Proficient with Terraform, PowerShell, Kubernetes, Docker for containerisation.
- Experience of source code management tools such Git/GitHub
- Expert understanding of DevOps principles and Infrastructure-as-Code concepts and techniques
- Experience of PaaS, IaaS, VM, Networking is an advantage
- The ability to automate deployments and infrastructure creation in Cloud (primarily Azure, we also utilise all the main cloud platforms) and on premises
- Excellent prioritisation skills
- Experience of engaging with all levels of the business.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Agile knowledge and experience
- Ability to manage multiple streams of work under pressure.
- Working in a secure way and adhering to all relevant security standards.
- Cross training and knowledge sharing within the team and externally across the group
- Ability to work on your own initiative or as part of a team
- Private Medical cover for employee
- 5% Employer pension contributions when contributing 5%
- 28 days holiday + bank holidays
- Life Assurance 4x annual salary
You'll be joining an energetic and innovative company whose investment in technology offers the opportunity to join a team with immense potential, playing a part in key transformation projects as well as BAU. You will be a valued member of the team, who is keen to inspire and drive with the desire to work with autonomy, whilst being part of making a successful team.
As a business we are committed to our ethos of 'putting the fun into insurance' for the benefit of our customers, employees and the community.
What are we doing to help us build a thriving, inclusive community?
Our ambition is to build a more diverse, equal and inclusive workplace for everyone and we have a mission statement in place to reinforce our commitment. However, that's the easy part!
Our key challenges are…
- How we continue to nurture positive behaviours in our own culture to foster healthy, happy and collaborative colleagues where performance is recognised and differences celebrated.
- How we strive to build our own internal community to better reflect the diverse communities we serve.
To help us achieve this, we have recently established an employee network called #WeAreMarkerstudy - a body of proactive colleagues with diverse interests and experiences, who have volunteered themselves to be part of a driving force for positive change.