Senior Technical Claims Handler (Large Loss)
Salary: £50,000 - £65,000 depending on experience, plus a benefits package
Hours: 35 hours per week
About Our Client
My client is an expanding insurance group who are renowned for its staff reward and recognition and is in The Time's Top 30 Big Companies to work for.
As Senior Technical Claims Handler working within the Large Loss Team. You will pro-actively handle a portfolio of motor claims consisting of mainly high value bodily injury with reserves in excess of £500,000.
Working within a team you will be a central referral point for technical issues, advising on strategy, tactics and key developments. You will also assist in targeted reviews to ensure best practices and outcomes.
- Managing claims caseload, in accordance with the Group philosophy, claims handling procedures and service levels.
- Controlling claim cost by achieving most economical settlement, through good use of liability and quantum arguments and effective negotiation
- Maintaining good file discipline and accurate reserves, together with an effective diary system which ensures that cases are reviewed on a regular basis and handled in a timely manner aligned to SLAs &/or any Court timetable.
- Attendance at Trials and conferences with Counsel where appropriate.
- Adherence to and engagement with Reinsurers and all associated Large Loss procedures.
- Full adherence to authority limits
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with colleagues and business partners.
- Adhering to agreed personal authority limits, referring to line manager/Large Loss Team for authorisation where activity exceeds such limits.
- Ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements (including "treating customers fairly" principles).
- Responding promptly and pro-actively to incoming telephone calls and correspondence by use of telephone, e-mail and letter.
- Maintaining good file discipline and accurate reserves, together with an effective diary system which ensures that cases are reviewed on a regular basis.
- Act as a technical referral point within team and through the business, to ensure technical queries and referrals are managed within SLA's
- Where applicable, to adhere to Company processes with regard to FCA compliance and Treating Customers Fairly
- Where applicable, to ensure that GDPR, FCA, TCF and other regulatory requirements are met.
Key Skills and Knowledge:
- Strong and current working knowledge of personal injury claims with a handling experience in serious injury of at least 5 years.
- Strong technical knowledge and, where applicable, the application of Discount Rate, Care Claims and any other heads of claim applying to serious injury claims.
- Good knowledge of medical disciplines required in investigating personal injury claims at all levels of severity.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding and application of claims negotiation, liability decision making and cost potential.
- Knowledge of current, relevant Case Law
- Ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements (including 'treating customers fairly)
- Strong customer service and communication skills
- Ability to manage and prioritise own workloads
- Good communicator and the ability to coach and support colleagues on technical topics
- Willingness to develop self and new skills
- Ability to work with flexibility in a proactive claims environment
- Good market knowledge
- Good commercial awareness