We are looking for an Underwriting Manger to join a large multi-brand insurance group (focussing on Motor Insurance). You will drive profitable growth of the direct car product ensuring alignment of underwriting strategy, retail pricing, systems and processes to achieve profit and volume targets and long-term business goals.
- Manage trading results to ensure delivery of budget and long term business goals.
- Ensure retail pricing & acceptance criteria are optimal to achieve profit and growth objectives.
- Define the target customer market ensuring alignment of product and customer experience. .
- Manage the risk profile, competitive position & pricing accuracy to ensure we are operating within agreed appetite.
- Ensure the underwriting process is optimal from an operational & customer perspective.
- Ensure question sets, policy wordings & documentation is technically correct and compliant.
- Analyse emerging trends, quantify impacts and put plans in place to address.
- Maintain a strong control environment ensuring issues & incidents are effectively addressed.
- Ensure effective auditing to ensure payments, systems & processes are operating as designed
- Provide market and competitor analysis ensuring this is translated into actionable plans.
- Contribute to the development of business strategy to drive channel value.
- Develop and maintain effective partnership relationships, both internal and external.
Key Performance Measures
- New Business
- Renewal Business
- Loss Ratio
- Product Management
Skills & Experience
- Collaborative, results driven self-starter who enjoys working in a highly accountable environment to drive the business forward.
- Good underwriting experience having managed a significant private car portfolio with an element of non-standard business.
- Working closely with Pricing and Data teams, having a good understanding of data modelling
- Extensive experience balancing profit/volume/income dynamics to drive optimal trading results.
- Excellent technical underwriting and account management skills.
- Appreciation of the importance of the customer experience and continuous improvement.
- Strong problem solving skills with ability to break complex issues down to create new solutions.
- Numerate & analytical with an excellent understanding of pricing models, tools and analytics.
- Ability to work with all areas of the business to contribute, shape and deliver business strategy.
- Ability to lead and contribute on a broader level across the leadership team.
- Ability to manage and develop an Assistant Underwriter.