SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER - PERMANENT - CHELMSFORD
Fantastic opportunity to join a market leading Insurance Underwriter, specialising in Commercial Motor for the UK and Ireland, as a Systems Development Engineer. You will be joining a business where employees and customers are always at the core of their values and practices, where you will be offered excellent opportunities to develop and progress your career, alongside a competitive salary and benefits package.
Key Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of applications, databases and information systems of varying sizes and complexity
- Undertake various application and infrastructure development projects
- Ensure the highest levels of application, systems, and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application and systems performance for potential issues, identify possible solutions, and work with vendors to implement fixes
- Troubleshoot areas of improvement or poor performance in order to identify effective solutions
- Identify best practices in IT change/problem/service management through continuous improvement initiatives
- As required, assist in other areas of the IT department: technical support escalations and troubleshooting systems technical issues.
- Degree educated in Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Commercial experience using bespoke and/or commercial financial products
- Expert knowledge of MS SQL or other data analysis/mining tools
- High degree of IT literacy, specifically around Microsoft Excel, Power Pivot & Power BI.
- Ability to develop dashboards showing overall data performance (for example, using Microsoft Power BI or similar reporting frameworks)
- Project management skills
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload
- Understand the demands of a deadline-driven, top-tier professional company and how the IT team should function to support it
- Self-motivated achiever who gains satisfaction from providing excellent service
- Excellent verbal and written communication and listening skills
- Create positive working relationships throughout the organisation
- Able to work using own initiative, in a team and work under pressure
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Any .Net MCP, MCAD or MCSD qualifications are a definite advantage.
- General understanding of Insurance industry practices & principles.
A Successful Candidate Will:
- Be proactive, self-motivated, logical, and organised.
- Be a team player with the ability to work independently.
- Be able to effectively manage and prioritise a busy workload.
- Be able to work to deadlines whilst continually strive for improvements in quality, efficiency, and presentation.
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Have experience interpreting and manipulating data and large volume data sets.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, particularly in the presentation of complex data and analytical findings to non-technical audiences.
- Be highly numerate & analytical with excellent attention to detail.
- Understand the constraints of using sensitive and confidential data.
* Actively always exhibit and develop professionalism and respect confidentiality where required by the business and others.
- Have a can-do attitude, demonstrate attention to detail, be able to spot irregularities and challenge them.
Any employment will be subject to background screening checks prior to your start date.
Full-time and office based.