Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel - Commercial/Insurance
Location: UK- 1 day per week in Peterborough office
This role will be reporting to the Divisional Head of Legal
The main function of the role will be to provide commercially pragmatic legal advice and assistance to the Group of Companies, while minimising risk.
- The role holder will be expected to work autonomously with minimal supervision whilst ensuring that risks/issues are escalated to Head of Legal for and senior management team. The role holder will be expected to manage, coach and provide guidance to more junior members of the Legal Team.
- The role will involve advising on strategically important matters that are key to the success of the Group. The role holder is expected to identify, advise on and flag legal risks/issues so that business stakeholders can take informed, risk based decisions.
- The role will enable the senior management to take informed decisions to manage exposure to legal, regulatory and contractual risks.
- More specifically it will include:
- Reviewing, updating, drafting and advising on general insurance matters including affinity partner contracts, binding authorities, claims handling agreements, Broker TOBAs, AR and IAR agreements, outsourcing arrangements, aggregator and software house agreements
- Providing advice on FSMA and FCA regulatory requirements
- Reviewing, updating, drafting and advising on general commercial and other contracts for the supply and/or sale of goods or services agreements
- Reviewing, updating and improving procedures to ensure compliance with FCA regulations.
- Keeping up to date with regulatory and legislative changes that may impact the Group
- Assisting with and advising on all other legal matters relating to Group companies
- Providing support on projects and legal issues as and when required
- Providing general assistance to internal business clients with legal related queries
- Liaising with internal clients in a timely, professional and courteous manner
- Dealing with contentious matters as and when required, including but not limited to drafting letters before action, settlement agreements and attending court or tribunal hearings
- Providing other general assistance as required
- Undertaking other reasonable responsibilities and projects as instructed by their line manager
- Assist with ensuring Group compliance with FCA, ICO and other regulatory requirements are
Solicitor / Barrister / Legal Executive
- Insurance industry experience dealing with insurance contracts for general insurance brokers and/or UK insurers and/or working in a regulated business
- Good IT skills; thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Good team-working skills
- Expert in field with strong technical skills required at a uniform and advanced level. Responds to issues quickly and confidently.
- Very capable of dealing on equal terms with senior lawyers acting for counterparties.
- Excellent ability to identify potential legal issues and consider commercial impact when applying technical expertise.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - communicates legal issues in plain English and adapts style to the audience.
- Excellent attention to detail and working knowledge of Commercial Contracts and Regulatory Matters.
- Very good stakeholder management skills - ability to build and maintain stakeholder relationships.
- Very good people management, team work and organisational skills. Gives honest feedback.
- Very good ability to work under pressure and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced commercial environment.
- A very good understanding of the legal/regulatory issues relevant to a regulated financial services business.
- Very good at driving improvement and developing new skills to support business needs.
- Qualified solicitor with right to practise in England and Wales.
- Several years of relevant legal practice gained in a leading law firm and/or a fast-paced, commercial in-house environment.
- Experience of advising on legal and regulatory issues.
- Experience of advising and influencing senior management and managing their expectations.